Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Love That Waits

After reading Esther's blog about dating and hearing all of the different responses, I realized this topic really sparked a lot of your interests.
Today as I sat at my computer and read letters from different women who have been hurt by relationships or frustrated by the lack of, God put it on my heart to really elaborate on this subject.

I think Brooke Frazer hit the nail on the head when she wrote a song called "Love is Waiting."

Love, true love, the thing girls dream about as children, the emotion we long to experience at least once in our lifetime, the desire we pray to be fulfilled, the commitment we will spend the rest of our lives upholding, is worth waiting for.

But sometimes...actually most of the time we get impatient.
We are so hungry for love, we will take it anywhere it shows itself. Our hearts are tricked into believing that anyone who says they want us, will love us.
Sadly, this is far from true.

I have seen many girls waste their lives away in the wrong relationships. In an effort to feel wanted by someone, they give themselves over to someone else's pleasure; someone who doesn't see them for who they are, someone who, in reality, doesn't even care.

I myself was in a very unhealthy relationship once. I spent two and a half years trying to become the person he wanted me to be. I let go of who I truly was, I let go of who God wanted me to be, and I became someone even I didn't recognize.
I realized that the relationship was terrible for me.
I wouldn't admit it, but in the back of my mind, I could hear the voice of truth SO strong telling me to get out. But I loved him. Despite everything the relationship was doing to me, I was ready to marry him. And I stayed
At the end of those two and a half years, I was not Brittany.
I was broken, I was bruised, I was everything he wanted me to be, yet I was not enough. And he moved on.
I felt like an old pair of shoes. I did the job for a couple of years, but eventually I got old and he out grew me. So I was tossed aside.

I was overwhelmed for a while after wards, but God met me in my brokenness. He helped me rediscover my worth.
I realized that God knew I wouldn't leave the relationship, so he provided a way out.
When I look back on it now, I wonder why I stayed in something SO wrong for me for SO long.

Part of the reason I stayed so long was manipulation (which I will get into another time)
but the other reason was my longing to be loved.
Even when the love didn't fit, even when it felt so wrong, I wanted it.
What I didn't realize is that it wasn't love at all.
It was selfishness, lust and desire using the alias "Love."

And that is what we as women need to be careful of.
The alias called "LOVE"
There are so many things out there using the name of love.
Everyday women easily fall into these traps.
Impatience makes us act without thinking.
Desperation causes us to give up on what we truly want.
And true love is left out of the picture, because we couldn't wait on it like it has been waiting on us.

My mom always told me "God is never in a hurry but He is ALWAYS on time."

I tell you the truth, God has a purpose and a plan for every woman out there.
If it is His will for you to get married, then it will ONLY happen perfectly in His timing.

And all we are left to do is wait.

Like I said in an earlier post, "waiting" is one of the hardest things we have to do as humans.
But let me encourage you to find beauty in this period of waiting.

Being single was such a beautiful period of my life. It showed me I am capable of independence.
It reminded me of my need for God. I grew so much closer to him and learned so much about myself in the process. I woudln't trade that time for the world.

Now that I am happily married to a man God placed directly in my life, I can look at Caleb and know I am with him, not because I wanted a husband and he fit the role, but because God made something beautiful out of our waiting and brought us together in His perfect timing.
Trust me, to experience a love you know without a doubt was God given, it worth an eternity of waiting.

-Brittany

"I'll give it time, give it space and be still for a spell
When it's time to walk that way we wanna walk it well....
and like I can't force the sun to rise or hasten summer's start,
neither should I rush my way into your heart"
Brooke Frazer / Love Is Waiting


1 comment:

  1. Oh my beautiful wise little Britt. How I love you! I cry every mornig wheni read your blogs. The Father is definately doing a work in you! Can you please go on my FB and add all my female friends? Send a note and tell them who you are. Thatyo are my daughter and you blog to women...PLEASE!! I think of so many that could use your words. Please invite Julie Perry today so she can read todays blog. Also Kathy Kendrick.

    ReplyDelete